Sunday 8 January 2012

'Restoration Man' week has finally arrived.........

Well its time for the boys to stop telling you how great they are at running and move over and let me have a blog once in a while! 

Well its been a while since I've been on here and things have been hectic to say the least.  Leading up to Christmas was a very difficult time for all of our family and on Christmas Eve we headed down to the Mill in Kent for Christmas with Pete.  We packed in a few runs before we left knowing that there would be substantial amounts of eating and drinking including Nikki's favourite 'Angry Gin'!  We were doing things a little on the fly for a change with decorating the tree at 9pm Christmas Eve but this year things were very different but that's how we rolled! We would go with the flow and do things in the style Nikki would have done them, nicely presented and thoughtful in every way.  We had our two little ones Zack & Evie and they were a great and much needed distraction for all of us.  Zack was beside himself with being back at Uncle Pete's, but more excited about the possibility of seeing Mike the builder and his digger! ( No offence Pete!)  Each time we've visited since the completion there is always a glimmer of hope that we may just see him one more time.  Mike you don't realise the impact you've had on him, he is in awe of you!  So it only felt right considering his obsession with Uncle Pete's Tractor and Mikes diggers we needed to find the perfect pressie!!!  Rather than talk about running I thought I would share some pictures from our time at the Mill.  Including a large gathering of our family on Boxing Day and a lovely walk from the house.......



Mum, Pete and I taking a moment to reflect on Christmas eve from a beautiful but very windy position!

Decorating the mammoth tree, lastminute.com!

Christmas Day
The proud new owner of the ultimate tractor/digger. Mike if you want to borrow it you only have to ask?!

Our two biggest marathon supporters Zack & Evie x
Our little Christmas angel, Evie Nicola Mae x
Boxing day family walk pre mulled wine!
Not a running shoe in sight, well just for a few days!

Simply beautiful


In Zack's words 'a wish to Auntie Nikki in heaven' x x

Well considering this is a running blog I haven't talked too much about running yet?!  Well we left Pete's and headed home for 3 days before going back for a small gathering of friends and family for New Year.  I am pleased to say in the following days Marcus and I managed to both run 13 miles so we worked of a few mince pies in the process....


New year was one of the strangest times for all of us and another very difficult time to reflect. On the 2nd of January with the thought of Nikki in my mind I set out on a 6.5 mile followed by some shorter runs later in the week.  I really find running therapeutic, and a time to try and release some tension and stress.  To have some time on my own, music pumping (some of Nikki's favourite tunes as well... Coldplay, Mike Snow, Calvin Harris) and take in the fresh air and scenery and know that wherever Nikki is she at that moment is with me side by side.  There are times when I'm tired or even feeling tearful whilst I'm running and then I have a little smile to myself because she would be saying what on earth are you doing lets go and get a latte and a piece of fat cake!  I take my strength from her and as the training is starting to increase I find myself feeling more empowered to do this for her and the incredible Phyllis Tuckwell Hospice.

This week has been the longest week with the anticipation of 'Restoration Man' being shown 5th January on Channel 4.  I think I paced the house for most of the day not knowing quite what to expect.  It was extremely difficult for us to watch but through the tears I couldn't help but feel immensely proud of how Nikki's strength of character shone through and what an amazing job Pete did and a testimony to his courage in supporting Nikki and completing the project.  We always knew she was special but now 2.2 million people also know it  and my goodness nothing could have prepared us for the overwhelming response to both our Marathon page and the Trust.  Unbelievably  heartfelt messages that have been left on our just giving pages www.justgiving.com/nikkifagg and on www.nikkistrust.co.uk  As a family we feel overwhelmed and humbled by the most generous and kind hearted people that were touched by the Nikki's Story.  If you are reading this you are likely to be just one of those people and please know that whilst we would love to respond to everyone individually we truly are so very grateful and  we couldn't have done this without you thank you x   After a phenomenal response we are now at £8385 as I write.  This means so very much to me to be doing this in memory of my beautiful sister so please continue to spread the word.  Its working....

Following this immense boost in donations it left me nothing more than buzzing to get my running shoes on.  So yesterday I completed 9 miles and Marcus 10 .  Today Dan achieved 10.14 ( you would almost think there is a bit of competition between us?!)  but thanks to Nikki and yourselves we continue to strive harder to complete more miles each week and try and look more like pros.  I hate to break it to everyone but Marcus is now in running tights, now that would put a smile on Nikki's face!  

Next Sunday we are doing our first 12 miles as a trio so watch our for us in our t-shirts and I apologise in advance for a lot of figure hugging lycra!!! 

Thank you again to all of you and for continuing support us on this huge challenge.  Shelly x x 


No comments:

Post a Comment